April is stress awareness month in the UK; a month which aims to raise awareness of the causes and effects of stress, and to promote healthy coping mechanisms for managing stress.
Stress is a normal part of life, but when it becomes chronic and overwhelming, it can have a negative impact on our physical and mental health. Chronic stress has been linked to a variety of health problems, including heart disease, high blood pressure, anxiety, depression, and insomnia.
It is important to recognise when you are feeling stressed and take steps to manage it before it becomes overwhelming. If you are experiencing chronic stress, seek support from your GP or a mental health professional.
Symptoms of Stress
Stress can manifest in a variety of physical, emotional, and behavioral ways including:
- Headaches, muscle tension, fatigue, sleep disturbances, upset stomach, chest pain, and increased heart rate.
- Anxiety, irritability, restlessness, anger, sadness, depression, and feeling overwhelmed.
- Difficulty concentrating, forgetfulness, racing thoughts, and negative thinking.
- Changes in appetite, substance abuse, social withdrawal, procrastination, and nervous habits such as nail biting or pacing.
Stress During the menopause
The hormonal changes that occur during menopause can cause a range of physical and emotional symptoms which includes stress.
- Hot flushes, night sweats, and sleep disturbances can all contribute to stress and fatigue.
- Mood swings, irritability, anxiety, and depression are common during menopause and can lead to increased stress levels.
- Some women may experience a loss of self-esteem or body image issues during menopause, which can contribute to stress.
Managing stress during menopause is important for maintaining overall health and well-being. Strategies to manage stress during this time can include:
- Exercising regularly.
- Practice relaxation techniques such as deep breathing, meditation and yoga.
- Talking to friends, family, or a professional.
- Eating a healthy balanced diet.
- Taking targetted supplements.
- Hormone Replacement Therapy
Supplements for stress relief
Superdrug offer a wide range of supplements to support the wellbeing. My favourites are:
A great tasting gummy that helps support your wellbeing and lifestyle. The gummies include folic acid and B12 which supports immunity. A daily dose of apple cider can improve mood and brain health.
For mental energy and support I’m taking LivSmart Apple Flavoured Stress Management Gummies. Ashwagandha is best known for it’s stress -lowering effects. The medicinal herb appears to help lower cortisol, a hormone produced by the adrenal glands in response to stress. The delicious taste is an added benefit!
SKINCARE FOR STRESS RELIEF AND SLEEP
Sleep is vital for a health, wellbeing and the reduction of stress. Unfortunately it can be illusive during the perimenopause. There are some fantastic products and supplements on the market to help, I’m a huge fan of aromatherapy based products and CBD.
I gasped when I opened this pot of joy. It truely is a thing of beauty, the fragrance and texture are divine. Glow Night Time Body Cream absorbs quickly leaving me with soft, plump skin. I love it!
Deliciously scented citruses and florals combine to chase away anxiety and encourage a positive spirit so you go to bed full of optimism. With Litsea oil – a light citrus shrub with a scent that is similar to lemongrass – used in Chinese medicine to calm the mind and spiritKiss the Moon
It takes a huge number of petals to produce the Jasmine Absolute we use in our CALM signature blend, but it’s worth it for its ability to quieten the nerves and encourage a feeling of confidence and optimism. With soul soothing Roman Chamomile, Sandalwood and Ylang Ylang to ease away the days stresses before floating off to bedKiss the Moon
A luxurious face oil which soothes the skin and calms the mind. After using I wake up with soft, glowy skin.
Kiss the Moon’s GLOW signature blend of essential oils contain a deeply soothing combination of Orange, Geranium, Myrrh & Litsea to revive dry and dehydrated skin. Described by one fan as the ‘scent of the South of France’. It’s the perfect way to brighten your mood before bed and ensure a worry-free sleepKiss the Moon
Glow has a beautiful fragrance and texture, it leaves my skin moisturised and glowing. Glow is a calming spa in a jar.
CBD FOR STRESS RELIEF
I’m already a huge fan of The Tonic CBD, you can read my post here. The Tonic 8% CBD oil is great for calming the mind and aiding sleep; it’s on my bedside table.
How do you manage your stress levels during the menopause? I’d love to know.
Thank you for stopping by.